Friday, November 4, 2011

Denny's Slamburger

Slamburger
We haven't been to a Denny's in years. We used to go there quite a bit when we were first married and had no money. Later when we had kids and no money we went occasionally. Then we stopped going. Well, today we were driving past and decided to stop and see what they were all about now, especially after seeing some of their new ad campaigns billing themselves as America's Diner. 


Inside I noticed the counter was missing and it was all tables and booths. After looking at the menu for a bit I decided on the Slamburger, a burger with home fries, cheese, bacon and an egg. I said I didn't want the egg runny and I wanted the burger medium-well (in chains I do this instead of medium mainly because that's that way it's coming and partly because I'm not as trusting of the meat since it was probably frozen). Teresa ordered a chicken dish from the back menu. The staff was friendly and as we waited for our for I heard a few mistakes at nearby tables, all of which were corrected quickly by the servers. Things like French Fries instead of Home fries and such.


The burger was good. I could tell it was griddle cooked, but I didn't taste any grease until the last two bites. The egg was perfect, closer to the an omelet sitting on the burger, and the shredded home-fries were a nice touch. I'd gotten the seasoned fries on the side and they were hot, crispy and tasty. $7.99. Not bad.

2 comments:

  1. After a long night of drinking on the Atlantic City beach in NJ, we found a Dennys and were not disappointed. I was shocked because I was actually impressed. Maybe my expectations were low also. Maybe it was the beer. I wanted a burger because that was the usual goto at 3AM. No patty melt on the menu... Regular burgers @ 7.99, I wanted something thrilling. For 70 cents more was the Bacon Slamburger. I ordered the burger medium well and the egg sunny side up/easy/kinda runny. In ten minutes the food arrived. It looked good. Nice, thin, meaty strips of bacon crossed on top of the cheese sauce (kinda like mornay sauce)on top of a grilled, sesame seeded, mass produced bun. The burger sat on the hash browns that were a tad under done (not raw but soft not fully browned). The egg was just a little under with a touch of white still runny. I ordered the seasoned fries for an extra 49 cents and a Nestea Raspberry to wash it down. The fact that the burger is hand formed allows the juices and fat to distribute throughout the burger in every bite. It kind of crumbles in your mouth compared to preformed hockey pucks. I popped the egg and let the yolk run all over my burger. I also broke the bacon in half and laid them on top. This burger was over the top. It was sooo good. It oozed out and onto the plate. I used the fries to mop up the egg, cheese, and burger juice. I ended up cutting the burger in half to make it easier to eat. Oh.my.God... I ate the whole thing... 1010 calories worth of burger not counting the fries and raspberry tea. Can't eat this on a weekly basis but definitely a late night treat after partying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree with you. I was quite surprised as well. I think it was the same for me as my expectations were not too high. Thanks for commenting. I like your way of writing.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.