Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cooking a proper burger, how hard is it?

Okay, I'm on a rant now. I recently ordered a fourteen dollar burger cooked medium and it came out well done. A few weeks ago I did the same at another place and it came to me with a huge bulge on the top and when I touched it all of the juices ran onto my plate leaving me a dry, well-done burger. When I pointed it out to the waitress she sent the manager over and she explained to me that it is very hard to do a hamburger properly. She told me that to cook a rare burger you need to pack the meat tight and to make it well it needs to be loose packed. Wrong! Time and temperature is how to cook. I told her how to test for doneness by using a thermometer, looking at the juices, and simply timing it. I then said that perhaps they should take burgers off the menu.

This improper cooking is getting to be more of a regular occurrence of late than an anomaly. Now in a six dollar burger I can live with an overcooked burger, but when I pay fourteen bucks for a burger it damned well better be perfect. I've spoken with friends about this and they are all in agreement.

So this is an open call for readers to sound off on the issue and to share where they get burgers cooked right, and not so right. I know that in Wilmington, North Carolina the board of health has a regulation that all burgers must be cooked to an internal temperature of 155 degrees. Don't rat out any restaurants that will make it as you like, I don't want them to get into trouble.

I will give a lesson on burger cooking in the near future for any restaurant wanting to learn the techniques.


1 comment:

  1. very few places ever get it right and they are Burger Boyz in Newburgh and the Wherehouse in Newburgh. I see that you have been to Burger Boyz and didnt appreciate it the way I do but its amazing. You should do another review of it. The Wherehouse bar in the city of Newburgh might have the best food I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.