Saturday, December 4, 2010

Gloria's Griddle and Grill and Napoli's, New Windsor, NY

One of our favorite places to eat has been Napoli's in New Windsor. We discovered them years ago when our daughters were involved in winter track and we stopped by for a sandwich on the way down to West Point for a late Friday night meet. The sandwiches were good and we went back for dinner, next thing you know, we were hooked. I don't think I can count the number of times we've been there and it was great every time. Good food and friendly service. I even used the restaurant as a setting in one of my Maria Hart Mystery books. Feel free to click on the links on the right of the blog and buy a copy should you be so inclined.

Well, I heard they closed and I was disappointed. That is until I found out they just moved up the street and combined with their other restaurant, Gloria's Griddle and Grill at 306 Windsor Highway. We'd eaten there before and liked it too, so we stopped by to check out the new combination. When we pulled into the parking lot it was full, a good sign they were doing well. When we got in we discovered that the restaurant was full (diners plus a large 40th birthday party), with one booth open.

When we looked at the menu there was a dilemma. I pondered the merits of the veal sorrentino and the veal saltimbocca, two of my favorites from Napoli's, and weighed them against lighter Gloria's offerings such as a burger or a sandwich. Teresa was torn between the penne puttanesca and the potato gnocchi. It took awhile to decide, but there was nice warm bread to eat while we looked. The final decision was zuppa di pesce for me (top photo) and the penne puttanesca for Teresa (bottom photo). I've been trying the seafood more at Italian restaurants lately and eating less veal. Not because I'm anti veal mind you. It's more that the seafood has more flavor. Both of our meals came with a salad, a rather large salad at that. I got gorgonzola crumbles on mine with the balsamic vinaigrette.

Teresa's dish was every bit as good as I remember it being, and far too big. She wound up bringing almost half of it home. Mine was delightful. Shrimp, mussels, clams, scallops, calamari and petite lobster tails in a slightly spicy (the heat wasn't overpowering) sauce over linguini. Every bit of seafood was perfectly cooked. I would rank this as a close tie to the pescadore at the Nu-Cavu and far better than most seafood dishes I've had. It was also too much and I brought home what seemed like close to a half pound of pasta without the seafood. That part I finished.

Total bill was thirty-eight bucks (tax included) plus tip. You can find items from eight buck up to about twenty-five. Reasonable prices for good food. They have a website to give directions and stuff, but they haven't added the Napoli's items to it. Oh, they have a place in Washingtonville, NY too. Stop by sometime and you'll be a fan too.

No comments:

Post a Comment