Saturday, August 29, 2009

Eveready Diner, Brewster Revisited


My review of the Eveready Diner in Brewster has become one of my most viewed reviews on this site generating traffic from NYC, CT, and all over New York. As a result, we decided to stop by on our way home from Danbury to check it out again to make sure it was as good as I said it was. Okay, we were hungry too.

This time it wasn't crowded at all, probably because it was quarter to five on a Saturday, and also because the 'new' had worn off since they'd been open awhile. However why, it doesn't matter, but it was much more relaxed and I got a chance to look around without having wall-to-wall people. It's bigger than I thought, there is a back room, and I like the Art Deco look, although the waitresses look a bit uncomfortable in the uniforms. I think they were shooting for a 1930's, or 40's look here.

Food was good this time too. My wife had an omelet, and her friend and I shared a cheeseburger with fries and a reuben with onion rings. Neither of us could decide which we wanted, so we had half of each. The burger was a good diner burger, nothing more, nothing less. The reuben was good too, but I made the mistake of getting the pastrami instead of the corned beef. I like corned beef better and I recall that the corned beef is very good here.

There are good diners, great diners, and crappy diners. Eveready is a good diner. The food is good, the service is good, the selection is good, and the prices are good. They're also consistent it seems, having been there twice. My original recommendation holds, pay them a visit. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment